Trichotillomania (TTM) is classified as an impulse control disorder in which a person suffers from an uncontrollable urge to pull out their hair. It can be from any hair on your body, but the scalp is often the target of this repetitive behavior.
When this disorder first appears, it can be easy to hide. However, as it progresses, those with trichotillomania eventually become a hair loss problem presenting itself with broken hair pieces and bald spots.
Besides the effects on a person’s physical appearance, it also has a huge negative impact on their mental and emotional state. It leads to low self-esteem, embarrassment, social withdrawal, and even depression.
Why do people do this?
TTM usually begins in adolescence during a period of severe stress or tension. The pulling is not painful but soothing, which may explain the urge to keep going. Most TTM patients are not even aware of their actions.
How common is trichotillomania?
It is estimated that 5-10 million Americans are affected by TTM at some level, and many more compulsive hair pulling do not meet the diagnostic criteria but still experience hair loss problems from pulling.
Is there a cure?
Currently, there is no cure for trichotillomania as well as medications or treatment to relieve the condition. However, some treatments can reduce or stop the pulling behavior. There are also remedies to treat other effects such as hair loss and scalp infections.
Effective treatments for TTM?
The first is to be evaluated by a professional. Once diagnosed, you may be treated by a behavioral health professional for treatment. When you pull out hair, it’s important to be aware of the triggers that can trigger the behavior and to practice controlling the impulse.
Once you understand the problem and get help for it, the Hair Restoration Institute can help you restore your confidence and self-confidence by giving your hair back.
Hair Care Options:
- FUT or FUE hair transplant. For many people with TTM, a transplant can be effective. Hair transplantation is also effective in hair loss due to many other causes, so it can be part of your treatment plan.
- PRP hair loss treatment. Platelet-rich plasma is rich in growth hormones and compounds that can help stimulate hair growth. In this treatment, the medical professional takes a sample of your blood and removes these compounds and applies them in concentrated form to areas of hair loss – which helps stimulate growth.
- low level laser therapy. Low-level lasers have a therapeutic effect on the follicles and help them regain their health so that the hair can continue to grow.
Other options in your treatment plan may include:
- Dermal Lens hair replacement systems
- HRI’s nutritional support and growth serum treatments
- and more!
We want to help you regain your confidence to help you overcome this hair pulling situation. Get evaluated by a professional in: Hair Transplantation InstituteThe faster you can be on your way to thicker, fuller hair. Make an appointment today for discreet and free advice from one of our concerned hair loss experts. You can find us at: 8030 Old Cedar Ave S Ste 202, Bloomington, MN, or call 612-588-HAIR (4247) for a private, free consultation.