As well as being a top tourist destination, Istanbul is well connected to cities around the world. If you want to spend most of your Turkey trip to visit other countries, you will have no problem finding a flight ticket.
Fortunately, most COVID-19 restrictions have now been lifted across Europe. Still, be sure to check what documents you need when planning your trip.
there is istanbul 2 international airports: Istanbul International Airport (IST) on the European side and Sabiha Gökçen Airport (SAW) on the Asian side. Both offer many options for traveling to places in Spain, France, Italy and beyond.
Here are 5 European countries where you can fly directly from Istanbul for inspiration.
Spain, some of Europe best travel destinations. Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia are great places to visit and are easy to reach from Istanbul.
If you are thinking of traveling to Spain from Istanbul, check the entry requirements of Spain for your nationality. You can visit Spain without a visa for a limited time.
There is direct flights From the international airports of Istanbul to the following Spanish cities:
- Madrid— Spanish capital with world-class museums, attractions and restaurants
- Barcelona— a Spanish city by the sea. Home of the Sagrada Familia and other architectural masterpieces
- MalagaLocated in the Spanish region of Andalusia, Malaga is a fascinating town with a lot of historical and cultural heritage.
- Bilbao—here you can visit the Guggenheim museum and enjoy the traditional pintxos
- Valencia—this port city has beaches, an excellent aquarium, the City of Arts and Sciences, and more
Flights from Istanbul to Spain take approximately 4 hours and 30 minutes.
Somebody Most visited countries in Europe, France is another great travel option. Besides Paris, there are many interesting cities in France that are worth visiting. Like Spain, France is also an EU country. Depending on your nationality, you may be eligible for short visa-free holidays. Be sure to check the login requirements.
You can fly direct from Istanbul to the following French destinations:
- burgundy– known for its excellent wine, it also boasts enchanting countryside and enchanted castles.
- Lyon—Historical and architectural landmarks make Lyon worth a visit
- Marseille— Top sights in Marseille include the Basilique Notre-Dame de la Garde and the Old Port
- Nantes—Nantes Cathedral is a highlight for visitors, and there are also beautiful gardens and castles.
- Beautiful— Located on the French Riviera, Nice offers beautiful beaches, great restaurants and stunning scenery
- Paris—The Eiffel Tower, the capital of France and one of the most visited cities in the world, is an iconic landmark
- Strasbourg—There’s a lot to do in the capital of France’s Alsace region, on the border with Germany.
- Toulouse— one of the best cities to try French cuisine, including cassoulet and Toulouse sausage
Flights from Istanbul to France take between 3 and 4 hours, depending on your destination.
Italy is known for its delicious cuisine, including pasta, pizza, and risotto. It also boasts stunning countryside, impressive architecture and beautiful beaches.
If you want to experience Italy for yourself, you can take a direct flight from Istanbul to any of the following Italian destinations:
- bologna— a city with impressive architecture, an unrivaled dining scene and a lively atmosphere
- Milan— Duomo di Milan and Galleria Vittoria are unmissable attractions. Be sure to try the Milanese risotto
- Rome— The Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, this list of reasons to visit Rome goes on and on.
- Venice— Visit Venice for the City of Canals, a gondola ride, and a stroll through the beautiful streets
- At least— With access to Italy’s best beaches and a thriving culinary scene, consider adding Bari to your itinerary.
- Naples—Famous for its pizza and historical and cultural heritage, Naples is another important Italian destination.
- CataniaOne of Italy’s most influential cities during the Renaissance, Catania is a must-visit for travelers interested in culture, art, and history.
Flights from Istanbul to Italy take approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes.
A short flight over the Aegean Sea to reach Greece from Istanbul. If you want to explore more of Europe from Istanbul, being this close is a great option.
Your direct flight options from Istanbul are:
- Athens— Acropolis and many other famous landmarks make Athens the most visited city in Greece
- Thessaloniki—This Greek port city on the Aegean Sea is beautiful and welcoming, but also a great base for seeing more of northern Greece.
Flights from Istanbul to Greece take only 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Austria has something for everyone all year round. Whenever you are traveling to Istanbul, Austria can be an excellent choice for your future trip. Austria has it all, from winter ski holidays and Christmas markets to beautiful summer landscaping.
You can fly direct from Istanbul to airports in the following Austrian cities:
- Vienna—Austria’s capital city offers some of the country’s best museums and places of cultural and historical interest.
- salzburg– Mozart’s birthplaceSalzburg is another top destination for visitors to Austria.
Flights from Istanbul to Austria take approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes.
These are just 5 of the many European countries you can visit from Istanbul. Flight availability depends on the time of year, make sure check latest options available.
With so many international flight options available, your trip to Istanbul offers the perfect opportunity to explore these top destinations.